Sunday 12 May 2013

Kicking The Diet Coke Habit!

Hi Guys!
 
I know I've been a little MIA for the last week, but I've been enjoying my freedom (I've finish uni till September ha ha). But today I bring you a post about something that's not as easy as it sounds!!
 
So I used to be a chronic Diet Coke drinker, being one of those people who thought "Oh, well it's got no sugar, no fat and calorie free practically" and never thought to ask myself why the hell is this drink brown and how? So I have extremely painful knee's at times and that kicked my health kick. So clearly the Diet Coke had to go! I knew deep down it could be making them worse, afterall what you dirnk is going into your body!?!
 
Did you know 'Coca Cola' is the second most recognised word worldwide one place behind OK?!?!
 
Anyway... I started drinking less of the stuff in the shiny silver can and more of ASDA's flavoured fizzy water, cutting down bit by bit is easier than the 'lets stop no more now' kind of approach as you crave it less, and you forget how much you initially depended on it. And yes depended. Diet Coke contains Caffeine which is addictive!
I suffered serious headaches, dizzy spells and case of the shakes (where my hands and lower arms would become shaky). This is serious and can have a detrimental affect on your body.
 
Did you know Caffeine is known to coax the calcium OUT of your bones!!
 
By cutting down the Diet Coke and drink copious amounts of Blackberry and Elderflower fizzy water I became a happier person and felt tonnes better! My skin looked healthier and my joints felt more relaxed and hurt far less than they had done!
 
All in all I do treat myself to an occasional glass of ice cold Diet Coke if it's sunny, but if I do, I have a treat drink rather than loosing the plot and going back down a winding road!
 
It might seem ridiculous to some but this was a very difficult thing to do but I am proud of myself for it and I know my body is better for it too. And so is my Mother after continually worrying Diet Coke make ruin my joints (which it can!!).
 
Since then I've discovered more nutritional drinks like Coconut Water, Freshly juiced fruit and water! I've come to love water in all it's glory.
 
The thing I hope to gain from this post is just because it's calorie free doesn't make it a good drink. Just think whats exactly giving it a taste? Chemicals probably! Make sure you know what you're drinking. Believe people who tell you it's not good for you, if you don't read up on it. Now my knee's are bad and Coke is probably a contributing factor I learnt a little too late. But we can all kick the diet coke!!
 
I hope you liked reading this post, which was quite personal for me. If you want it, you can do it! Dream for it, blieve it and you just might surprise yourself and acheive it! :D
 
 
Rebecca
 
 
P.S Sorry about my little facts but I found then interesting haha. My general rule is read the ingredients if you can't pronounce them don't digest them. Good luck to anyone trying to give it up. It's hard but put in the legwork you'll feel great afterwards.
 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Feel free to leave a comment I do read every single one and they all make me smile. I will always reply :) xx